How to grow moss?...







Before starting this project I thought growing moss was simple and fast. I was surprised to see that it's really not that simple after all! I referred to many web sites and decided to take two completely different approaches.
My first strategy..
1) I found many blogs explaining in detail how to create moss from scratch. The ingredients were quite simple but required more time. Adding sugar and yogurt to existing moss and blending it all together in the blender. After a whole week of observing and taking pictures this is my conclusion:
Picture: November 4th 2010 at 10:36am

Picture: November 5th 2010 at 5:19pm
Picture: November 6th 2010 at 5:26pm
Picture: November 7th 2010 at 6:04pm
Picture: November 8th 2010 at 11:15am
Picture: November 9th 2010 at 2:28 am
Picture: November 10th 2010 at 10:50am
My Second strategy...
2) I saw a couple web sites where they instructed people to use moss and simply plant in in any pot/tube/container. You plant it and simply let it grow. This was less work because I had no mixes and the hassle of fitting every thing in a little opening of the light bulb. Though I am not sure if the moss will continue to grow in such a small environment and without much daylight. Here are the results up until now:
Picture: November 16th 2010 at 12:44am
Picture: November 17th 2010 at 11:47am
Picture: November 19th 2010 at 12:44am
Picture: November 29th 2010 at 7:51pm
I thought I'd use the moss I grew to make something that measures to it's beauty. Being a woman, to me something beautiful makes me feel beautiful. So I decided to make moss jewelry making it appear as a hand crafted stone. I'm very happy with the results as it really shows to beauty of nature through something man made. I've always liked to create environmental pieces and thought it would be interesting to combine my first project with my final one. In a way this is the first project in university that got me really exited. It had to do with plants and nature and combining it with already-fabricated objects was simply an amazing experience. The person wearing my jewelry is constantly reminded about environmental issues that must be taken care of by every single one of us. One must care for their jewelry as it will die (like our Eco-system). Each piece is unique and will also evolve as unique pieces. Here is a short video on creating art from natural objects like grass.. Link
No comments:
Post a Comment